Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What do you get when you bake sugar and butter?

I have been craving some cookies as of late and store bought ones just wouldn't do. We got a lot of snow today, so I decided it was a good day to bake. I made these yummy chocolate peanut butter cookies first, to help satisfy my husbands chocolate-only cookie consumption. They turned out very good and were delicious warm.
For myself I was looking forward to a repeat of some super yummy thumbprint cookies I had made before Christmas. Unfortunately, I didn't have quite enough flour to make the second recipe of cookies. I remembered I had some cake flour, but still didn't have quite enough. I had already creamed the butter and sugar, so it was kind of hard to quit at that point. I figured, I would just bake them at a lower temperature and that surely they would turn out fine. I scooped out two sheets of little balls, rolled them, filled a zip top bag with seedless raspberry jam and filled all 24 cookies. I put the first sheet into the oven and proceeded to watch their demise...

here there are maybe 5 minutes in...

a few minutes later...

"done"

So to answer the title question...a big, fat, sticky mess!!! I did try to eat one to see if miraculously they were one of those 'oops' that turn into a good thing, but they weren't. I had to toss out the remaining dough. What a waste!!! At least one batch turned out!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

This makes me want to bake cookies! But my oven is broken! Thankfully the part that will *hopefully* fix the oven came via UPS today!