Friday, November 20, 2009

Lasagna Burgers

Last night I went with Lasagna Burgers (again out of the Rachael Ray Nov 2009 issue!).  The concept is really good.  I cheated on the burger part of it and wouldn't do that again.  But I was tired and it had been such a gloomy day, I didn't have a lot of heart to put into dinner, so I used some premade hamburger patties that were in the freezer.  Eh, making your own patties would have been much better.  I also cheated by using jarred sauce.  GASP!  I know RR would be disappointed in me, but hey, when you have a baby glued to your hip and only one hand to attack dinner with, you do what you gotta do.  I'm not above a few shortcuts, people! :)  My neighbor recently said, and I quote, "Ginger, your super duper June Cleaver skills intimidate me."  Clearly, she's not keeping up with my blog.  LOL  If you can read, you can cook!  But K, your super duper NURSE skills totally impress me, why else would I send my kid to your house for sliver removal???  :)  You keep my kids sliver free and I'll keep the sweets & treats coming.  Deal? 

Tonight I think I'll be figuring out a way to finish up that jarred spaghetti sauce but in the mean time here's the Lasagna Burger.  Give it a try!

Lasagna Burger
serves 4
1.5 pounds of ground beef, pork, and veal mix (sometimes called meatloaf mix--I can't find it at my local Kroger, but I think VG's carries this blend)
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
one 14.5 ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes
1 handful basil leaves, shredded or torn
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup of milk
a few grates of nutmeg
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (I just used parmesan)
4 hamburger or ciabatta rolls

1.  In a large bowl, season the meat with plenty of S&P.  Form into 4 patties, thinner in the middle for even cooking.  Drizzle with EVOO.
2.  In a sauce pan, heat 2 tbsp EVOO, over med heat.  Add the onion and cook until softened about 5 minutes; add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more, then stir in the tomatoes and season with S&P.  Lower the heat and simmer for 5 mintues. 
3.  In a large skillet heat a drizzle of EVOO over med-hi heat.  Add the patties and cook, turning once until med-rare about 7-8 minutes. 
4.   While patties are cooking, in a small sauce pan, melt butter over med heat.  whisk in flour for 1 minute, then whisk in milk.  Season with S&P and nutmeg.  Then cook until thickend, about 5 minutes.  Stir in ricotta and parmigiano-reggiano. 
5.  Spoon some red sauce on the roll bottoms, then top with the patties.  Dollop the cheese sauce on the top of the patties and top with the top of the roll. 

Enjoy!  We had ours with broccoli.  I think this one was a keeper. 


No comments: